Buy Ten, Don't Get One Free


In the last entry I told you about the trials and tribulations of booking coach tickets using the National Express website. I've learned some more information today, which makes me wonder whether booking online is really worth the effort.

After my visit to London in September 2014, I signed up for National Express's 'Make ten journeys and get one free' deal. As I've started to visit London frequently again, it seemed like a tempting offer. At the time …

Anyway, this year I've been to London three times. I also made two journeys last year, although one was booked in my friend's name. A few days ago I had an email from National Express, telling me that my running total towards my free journey was two. Not four – just two.

I emailed them back to query it. I provided them with the dates of my five (or four) journeys. I explained that I always book using the same email address, and pay using the same card. I asked them to look into it and contact me with an explanation.

Well, I've just had the explanation. Here it is:



Dear Stephen O'Gorman,

Further to your recent query regarding the 10 trip free journey query, we have received a reply from our Marketing Team.

They indicate that journeys between Cardiff University and London Victoria are not included in our scheme, only those between Cardiff Bus Station and London Victoria.

I hope this helps clarify the issue for you.

Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require any further assistance.


I've just sent them this follow-up email:

Thank you for looking into the 'free journey offer' query for me. May I add a further question: Since Cardiff Bus Station is closed for the foreseeable future owing to redevelopment, can I take it that the offer is suspended until the coaches return 'home'?

Maybe when the coaches return to the bus station, I'll be able to resume working towards my target.

Then again, I might not bother. I daresay that by the time the building work is completed, the two journeys I've already notched up won't count, as they'll have been made too long ago. Anyway, it's much more convenient for me to travel to and from Cardiff University (right opposite Cathays railway station) than it is to go into the city centre. I might just carry on booking from Cardiff University, and say goodbye to my free journey. Is it really worth bothering about an offer which will save me a piddling ten quid or so, when there's so much hassle involved? It's the 'Save 20% on your next booking' story all over again.

In fact, I might not even bother booking my next journey online at all. I might as well go to the post office and give them the business.

In my opinion, National Express really aren't doing themselves any favours by offering deals to the public, and then making them impossible to claim. I'm just looking forward to the day when I can afford to travel to London by train again, and then the coach companies can whistle for my business.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Last Bus From the Cynon Valley

Return Journey to Swansea

The Last Bus to Everywhere